We get asked this question all the time but there is no true definitive answer. There are various people on our media staff who go through the hundreds of requests that we receive on a daily basis but it is simply impossible for every request to get posted.
However, we understand your frustration so we have put together a list of tips that will help you in getting your music posted on the site. In addition, we have also included how NOT to get your music posted list. Please keep in mind that none of these tips will guarantee anything, but it will serve as a guide to the process of having your music posted on our site.
Tips to get your music heard and/or posted on KN.com
- Please submit your music to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send your music to a KN staff member directly.
- If sending your email to multiple people, please be considerate and use the BCC field.
- In your e-mail, please include a few sentences about yourself (or the artist you represent), as well as a few sentences about the music you are submitting. This gives us an idea of who the artist is, music style, and where/when to place the content.
- If you are submitting a single song, an album or mixtape; consider uploading it to AudioMack.com. This is the file sharing service that we now prefer as it is fast, efficient, and allows us to preview before downloading. Other services we like are SoundCloud.com and Bandcamp.com. Please DO NOT attached mp3 files to your email.
- DO attach the cover of the album or mixtape to your e-mail in JPG format and make sure it is at least 550 pixels wide. If there is a back cover, attach that as well. If you do not have a cover to your music, attach two photos of the artist. These must also be at least 550 pixels wide.
- If you are submitting a video, send us a YOUTUBE or VIMEO link. No need to send the embed code, as we use a plug-in on our site that does all the embedding for us.
- In addition to everything above, we urge you to include links to your MySpace, Facebook, or Twitter pages and any other web sites you have.
- Remember, presentation is key so please make sure that your e-mail is professional and include as much detail about you and your project, but keep it short, concise, and thorough.
Tips on how to NOT get your music heard and/or posted on KN.com
- DO NOT send your music to us via Twitter or Facebook. We rarely respond to people that we don’t know on social media sites. And even if we know you and you send a message, it will probably get lost. Also, DO NOT tag us in a video, posting, add us to a group, etc. on Facebook. This is a sure way for us to remember you in a BAD WAY.
- Please DO NOT send your music to our personal e-mail addresses. Our personal e-mail addresses aren’t hidden, but your e-mail will more than likely get deleted if we don’t know you.
- DO NOT subscribe our e-mail addresses to your newsletters without our consent or include our e-mail address in the TO field along with 100 other email addresses.
- DO NOT spam our inbox with multiple requests weekly. We receive all emails sent to email@example.com so sending duplicates does not catapult your chances for placement. It clutters our inboxes making the process of sifting through potential postings even longer. If you’re releasing music more than 2-3 times a week, please send all the songs together. Also keep in mind that, if we haven’t posted your music within a few weeks, chances are, we have no plans on posting it. You don’t have to send us reminders. You can be persistent without being pushy. We are constantly on the hunt for new music to promote and write about, so if we are interested, we will post it.
- Please make sure that you are sending your submission to the CORRECT site. We understand the need to recycle e-mails to save on time but double-check your email before you hit send.
- DO NOT post links and drops in the comment section on our site. It is unprofessional and it just as bad as spam and will only make us ignore you.
Thank you for your support and interest in receiving placement on our site. If you follow these guidelines, your chances of receiving placement increase significantly but understand that following this list is not a guarantee. We understand that it is frustrating, which is why we provided these do’s and don’ts, but respect and be mindful that there is a protocol that must be followed. Thanks!