Excellent mix put together here by DJ Center, presented by Push The Fadar and The Roy Ayers Project. The whole mix was done in vinyl… the way Gil’s music is supposed to be heard.[audio:http://pushthefader.com/mixes/One_for_Gil.mp3]
It’s been just over three weeks since Gil’s passing. Like all death, it is extremely hard to initially get the news, but as time goes on, we find ways to move on and the reality of someone passing fades, deep into our memories.
Well, to me, this one is different. The reality of Gil’s passing and the void that has been left with his absence, has been hanging over me since Friday, May 27th. Gil had a voice and spirit like no other- beautiful, soulful and real, with every word he spoke. Whether it was through his critique of America and the ‘deals in back alleys where politicians often hide’ or his call to unify the Black community, shining light on the injustices done to people of color, Gil did it like no other and to the death.
He brought truth to word with a deep musical backdrop and classic humor that could only be his own.
Over the last few weeks, I’ve been revisiting Gil’s entire body of work and decided to put together this tribute mix for you. This mix is in celebration of the music Gil created.
Now, this is not a “definitive” collection or a “best of”, but these pieces are songs that have meant something to me over the years. The hope is that you might discover one or two cuts you had never heard before or that this mix might bring something back for you, as you bump these timeless classics.
Truthfully, I’d need to put together volumes of these mixes to be able to include everything, because Gil’s discography IS that deep! He left behind an incredible legacy…and truthfully, I don’t know what more can really be said about Gil and the music he made….
1. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Offering” (Arista)
2. Gil Scott-Heron “The Vulture” (Flying Dutchman)
3. Gil Scott-Heron “Home is Where the Hatred Is” (Flying Dutchman)
4. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “It’s Your World” (Arista)
5. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Angola, Louisiana” (Arista)
6. Gil Scott-Heron “Whitey on the Moon” (Flying Dutchman)
7. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Delta Man (Where I’m Comin’ From)” (Arista)
8. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “South Carolina (Barnwell)” (Arista)
9. Gil Scott-Heron “A Legend In His Own Mind” (Arista)
10. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “New York City” (Arista)
11. Gil Scott-Heron “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” (Flying Dutchman)
12. Gil Scott-Heron “Lady Day and John Coltrane” (Flying Dutchman)
13. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “The Bottle” (Strata-East)
14. Gil Scott-Heron “The Klan” (Arista)
15. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Pardon Our Analysis (We Beg Your Pardon)” (Arista)
16. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Rivers of My Fathers” (Strata-East)
17. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Your Daddy Loves You” (Strata-East)
18. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “A Lovely Day” (Arista)
19. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “We Almost Lost Detroit” (Arista)
20. Gil Scott-Heron and Brian Jackson “Must Be Something” (Arista)
21. Gil Scott-Heron “Who’ll Pay Reparations On My Soul” (Flying Dutchman)
21. Gil Scott-Heron “No Knock” (Flying Dutchman)
22. Blackalicious “First in Flight Feat. Gil Scott-Heron” (MCA)